Sunday, November 10, 2013

Yes you can!

I was 14 the first time I went overseas. It was a family vacation with my parents and brother to Costa Rica. I probably didn't appreciate that trip as much as I should have, as evidenced by the photo of me scowling in a poncho, hair dripping, in front of a rain forest, or the day I spent hours with my nose inside a library book instead of enjoying the black sand beaches.

Ever since then though, traveling has been my passion. Sixteen years after that first trip, I've lived, worked in or traveled to around 30 countries on five continents. Often I hear people tell me that they would love to travel as much as I do, but...(insert excuse here). Today's post is dedicated to debunking excuses and hopefully encouraging you to take that trip you've always dreamed of.

Excuse #1: I don't have the money.

I didn't have the money either when I first started. I was 13 when I decided I wanted to go to Paris. A close family friend told me that she had been a nanny in Paris, and after I heard that I considered going to Paris to be the pinnacle of all earthly achievement. I made a deal with my mom that if I raised the $1000 to fund my part of the trip, she'd take me. {Probably the reason she agreed is because I woke her up from a nap to get her to sign a contract and she was too groggy to realize what I was asking, but whatever.} I had never been able to save more than $20 before this point, so my mom probably figured I'd never come up with the money. I got a job as a janitor at a local gas plant where I cleaned offices every weekend. Fast forward a year and a half, and I pulled a wad of cash from a makeup bag hidden under my bed. I had almost enough money and I was ready to start planning. My mom was stunned, but she held true to her promise. We went to the travel agency and planned a week-long trip to Paris with a day in London and it was absolutely magical.

It took me 2 years to save that money, and this was working as a janitor. This goes to show that if you REALLY prioritize your trip and have patience, you can make it happen.

Excuse #2: I'm older than you (implying I have too many commitments.)

This one drives me nuts. It's not a question of age, it's a question of priorities. I'm 30. That's not exactly young. Twenty-two is young. Thirty is closer to middle age than it is to being a teenager. I have a respectable full-time job, a townhouse, a car payment... you know, commitments. Things I have to manage and pay for. Yet here I am in Cambodia. I made this happen because I prioritized it. It has nothing at ALL to do with my age. Plenty of people my age and younger never leave their state. Plenty of people older than me, many of whom have kids*, move to a different country every few years. Ever hear of the foreign service? Or the military? Or any other expat communities, like foreign oil field workers, teachers, people in the hospitality industry? These people do it all the time and age is not a factor. One time I met a 67 year old Peace Corps volunteer on a night train to Krakow, Poland. She had been living in Macedonia for 2 years in what sounded like pretty primitive conditions. You want to tell her that you have to be "young" to travel?

*About the kids thing. People take kids of all ages, from babies to teenagers, on trips all the time. I would know, I've seen them on planes--including 14-hour, trans-continental flights--in museums, in world heritage sights, and in all kinds of local attractions. It takes extra planning and extra patience but it can be done.

Excuse #3: I wouldn't know how to get around a foreign country.

This is one of those things that you will improve upon with experience, but nobody was born knowing everything so you just have to dive in. There are SO many different travel services for people of all experience levels. For your first overseas trip, it might be a good idea to get a pre-packaged tour or go with a company that will arrange guides. On our first trip to Paris, my mom and I got a package deal from American Airlines vacations. This meant that we had tours and excursions booked in advance which took out the hassle of us having to figure everything out once we got there. For a recent trip to Kenya, I asked a good friend of mine who's a travel agent (Curious Tourist Travel) to book everything for us because I had never been to sub-Saharan Africa before. Now I'm to the point where I can navigate Europe and Asia by myself pretty well, but this didn't happen overnight and asking for extra help is a great idea. Sometimes it's cheaper than trying to do everything on your own.

Related to this point, one of my best friends has traveled all over Europe and Asia and she's in a wheelchair. If she can do it, you absolutely can do it.

Bottom line: If you REALLY want to take your overseas dream trip, DO IT! Enough with the excuses and the fears. Traveling will enrich your life in ways you could never imagine and even the worst experiences eventually turn into the best stories. Start saving, make a plan, and go for it!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tell it! I hear so often that people don't have time and money and ask how I'm able to travel so often.

    I use a travel credit card and rack up the miles. There's tens of thousands of free miles to be had just by opening one with major airlines (not advocating charging what you cannot afford, but as a quick means to a free trip - absolutely!)

    That there are now alternatives to traditional hotels and hostels for your lodging needs that are very affordable.

    That people think you need to travel to another country for weeks at time for it to count - most people get the opportunity to travel EVERY WEEKEND (even if it's local) and don't!

    And when I tell this to people, their eyes glaze over...they take no notes. As you state so eloquently, it's not their priority. It's a shame, really.

    ReplyDelete